Waipapa Point (Map reference No 1)
This is a rocky promontory on the coastline of the Catlins. There have been many shipwrecks in the region. The most notable of these was the wreck of the passenger steamer Tararua which foundered off Waipapa Point on 29 April 1881 with the loss of all but 20 of the 151 people aboard.
Waipapa Point lies in the far southwest of the Catlins.
A lighthouse was built on the point in response to the tragedy; it began operating in 1884. This was one of the last two wooden lighthouses built in New Zealand. It is still active, and was automated in 1976.
Visitors now enjoy the golden beach, sea lions, rock platform and lighthouse.